Thursday, September 16, 2010

Amitabh and Abhishek win National Award

There was a sense of immense fulfilment and pride in the Bachchan household when the news of the National award for best actor in Paa and for the best producer of a Hindi film came in.

Abhishek Bachchan, who had also won his first National award for producing the best Hindi film, was doing a jig of joy across Jalsa, while Mr Bachchan, who won his fourth National award for best actor, received congratulatory greetings from Abhishek on the phone and went back to sleep.

Abhishek could barely contain his joy. “The first person I called was, naturally, my son,” he said referring to Mr Bachchan’s astonishing makeover as his son in Paa , where he played Abhishek’s son. “He heard me and then went back to sleep. Paa is an old hand at the National Award. But this is my first (though as a producer). Our film has won four National Awards. We’re all over the moon. As a producer I tried to make sure that everyone working for us was comfortable and happy. That showed in the end-product, I guess. This gives me the confidence to continue producing the films I believe in.”

Balki, the director of Paa who is in London, could barely control the chuckle in his voice. “By now Mr Bachchan should have won 20 National awards. This is just the beginning. I am so happy he won it for my film. It just resurrects my faith in the institution of awards. The problem for me is what next? I know I’ve to make a film with Mr Bachchan. He’s addictive. Let’s see if what I’m doing next will do justice to him.”

Paa has also won National Awards for the best supporting actress (Arundhati Nag) and for the best make-up artist (Christien Tinsley).


Amitabh Bachchan on winning his the National Award:

“I thank the Government of India and the National Awards committee for this great honour. ‘Paa’ has bagged 4 National Awards, including Best Hindi Film, Best Supporting Actress by Arundhati Nag and Best Make-up by Mr. Chrisiten Tinsley & Ms. Dominie Till and I congratulate all of them for winning this prestigious award. I especially thank R. Balki – a gifted Director whose exceptional vision and passion has created this wonderful film, Abhishek - who took complete charge of the project as the producer and Natasha & Dakshina for their valuable assistance on the make-up. Also big thanks to Reliance for joining hands with us! This is an important success for AB Corp Ltd and the entire cast and crew who have helped make such a brilliant movie.”

No comments:

Post a Comment